The average office worker spends around £1,000 a year on expenses such as coffee, birthday presents and nights out, according to Nationwide.
On this basis, the money spent on expenses across a working lifetime would equal £40,128.
Workers spend the most during the Christmas period, with the average person spending £138.36 on celebrations and presents. An annual average of £102.24 is also spent on night outs with colleagues.
- 72% are happy to put money towards an office birthday card or present
- However, 41% are unhappy about spending their money on coffee and tea
- 70% don’t like to spend on stationery
- 40% dislike buying Christmas presents
- 36% don’t like to like to contribute to fundraising while 32% feel pressured into contributing.
Alan Oliver, head of external affairs at Nationwide, said:
“While most people value the camaraderie of working in a team, birthdays, retirements and charity fundraisers can take their toll on our wallets and purses.
“We would recommend putting in only what you can afford. Developing a regular savings habit can also help in meeting many of life’s financial challenges.”